- Where are you located?
- How do I get to Dolphin Quest Oahu?
- How far in advance can a reservation be made?
- Do you have to be a guest at The Kahala Hotel & Resort to participate in a Dolphin Quest program?
- How do you make a reservation if you are staying at The Kahala Hotel & Resort?
- What are the minimum guest requirements for participating in a Dolphin Quest Encounter?
- How do I pay for my program?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- When do I check in for my scheduled program?
- Do you offer changing areas or lockers?
- Do you offer a “Waiting List” when programs are completely booked?
- What if I was unable to confirm a program reservation before my trip, do you offer a Standby list?
- Do you actually get to swim with the dolphins?
- Can I take pictures with my own camera during the program?
- How can I purchase my photos?
- When is the next feeding time/show?
- Is parking included in the cost of the program?
- How does Dolphin Quest care for its dolphins?
Dolphin Quest Oahu (DQO) is located at The Kahala Hotel & Resort tucked below Diamond Head at the very end of Kahala Avenue.
Dolphin Quest Oahu
The Kahala Hotel & Resort
5000 Kahala Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96816
Directions from Honolulu International Airport
- Take the h3 Freeway East for 13 miles
- Exit at 26B (Waialae Avenue)
- Turn right onto Hunakai Street (second stoplight)
- Continue 1.2 miles to Kahala Avenue
- Turn left onto Kahala Avenue and this street will end at The Kahala Hotel & Resort
Reservations can be made one year in advance. Book now with our online reservation system, or call our Central Reservations office at 800-248-3316 (Mon. – Fri. 8:00am – 9:00pm EST). For International callers please dial 540-687-8102. Please note that some programs are not available through online reservation system and must be reserved through our Central Reservations Office.
4. Do you have to be a guest at The Kahala Hotel & Resort to participate in a Dolphin Quest program?
No, anyone visiting Oahu can experience a Dolphin Quest program.
Guests of the hotel can make their reservations directly with Dolphin Quest by calling ext. 8918 from either their room phone, as well as any Resort house phone.
|Back to top|
- Participants must be able to follow directions and instructions provided by the guided trainer and other Crew Members.
- Participants must be able to move about freely within the water environment. Guests must be comfortable in the water and be able to manage their movements as instructed in and around the animals while wearing required water safety gear.
- Participants must be able to physically move from one location to another by crossing sand, climbing stairs, traversing floating platforms, have mobility between standing and sitting positions, crossing slippery and unlevel surfaces both in and out of the water.
- Local weather conditions expect individuals to be able to handle heat, humidity, direct sun exposure, wind and torrential rains.
- Participants can expect to be around large marine mammals as well as marine animals within the natural environment. Our dolphins have been trained for interactions. As wild animals, their behavior can still be unpredictable.
Dolphin Quest welcomes guests with special needs and strives to meet those needs in our encounter programs at all of our locations. For more information and for our assistance in making a reservation please fill out our Contact Us Form or contact our Central Reservations office for additional information.
All programs are paid for at the time of the reservation with a major credit card.
Guests that do not show up on time to check in for their reserved program will be charged full price.
Reservations for parties up to, and including 6 participants
- Any cancellations/rescheduling made prior to 48 hours of the scheduled program time will not be charged.
- Any cancellations within 48 hours of scheduled program time will be charged full price of scheduled program.
- Any rescheduling made within 48 hours of the scheduled program time will be charged an additional re-booking fee of $75 per guest.
Reservations for 7 or more participants
- Any cancellations/rescheduling made prior to 2 weeks of the scheduled program time will not be charged.
- Any cancellations within 2 weeks of scheduled program time will be charged full price of scheduled program.
- Any rescheduling made within 2 weeks of the scheduled program time will be charged an additional re-booking fee of $75 per guest.
To cancel or change a reservation please contact either our Central Reservation office (Mon.-Fri. 8am – 9pm EST) at 800.248.3316 or Dolphin Quest Oahu at 808.739.8918 (daily from 8:30am – 5pm HST).
Check-in time for all programs* is no later than 30 minutes prior to the scheduled program start time. If not checked in by this time, the guest’s reservations may be given to a Standby guest.
*For the Trainer for the Day program you may check in the day before during business hours (8:30am to 4:30pm HST) or on the day of your program. For morning programs, the earliest check in time is 8:30am HST.
A parent or legal guardian must be present to fill out paperwork for all participants under the age of 18. Under-aged participants without parent/legal guardian present to check them in will NOT be allowed to participate.
Restrooms are located next to the pool area at the resort for use as a changing area. It is suggested, if possible, to come to Dolphin Quest with your swimsuit on. Also, Dolphin Quest doesn’t provide towels for your programs, so remember to bring one with you.
A fresh water beach shower is available for use near the pool. The pool and Jacuzzi are provided for The Kahala Hotel & Resort guests only. The beach (with the exception of beach chairs/cabanas) is open to the public.
A secured storage area for your personal belongings is available for use during your program.
At this time, we do not offer a waiting list. However, if you are looking for a specific time and date that is not available, we invite you to call the Central Reservations office for assistance at 800.248.3316.
|Back to top|
12. What if I was unable to confirm a program reservation before my trip, do you offer a Standby list?
For guests without confirmed reservations wishing to participate in a Dolphin Quest program, a daily Standby List will be generated to fill any possible openings.
If a guest wishes to be placed on the Standby List, the guest will need to contact the Dolphin Quest Oahu Desk directly by calling 808.739.8918 or stopping by. Desk hours are 8:30am – 5pm HST daily. Please leave a voicemail in the event of a recording if you are calling.
All of our programs are shallow water educational encounters. However, when possible (this is animal dependent), the trainers may move their group to the deeper parts of the lagoon to afford guests the opportunity to put on a mask and observe the dolphins in the water. This deep-water experience is only for adult programs.
No, we do not allow cameras in our programs. This is because we want you to take part in the full Dolphin Quest experience, which might be hard if you are occupied by taking pictures.
Dolphin Quest has a wonderful staff of photographers who will be taking posed and candid photos (weather permitting) throughout your program. Those not participating in the program are welcome to take pictures or videotape from anywhere along the perimeter of the program areas behind the ropes and railings.
You can view and order your encounter photos on-site immediately following your encounter using one of our DQ Photo ordering stations located at the Dolphin Quest Guest Services Desk.
If you are unable to purchase your photos at that time, we will keep your encounter photos online for 14 days from your program date, which you can view by clicking here.
We actually don’t have shows or special feedings, our dolphins are positively reinforced with food throughout the day, both during our programs, as well as in training sessions.
No, but Dolphin Quest offers our program guests 4 hours parking validation at the Kahala Resort and Hotel. Guests signed up for the Trainer for a Day program receive 6.5 hours parking validation.
Our dolphins are well loved and well cared for at Dolphin Quest. We give them enriching attention and affection, and the best food, shelter and veterinary care. Each dolphin receives daily health assessments where our expert animal caregivers check them out from rostrum to tail fluke. Our dolphins also participate in their own healthcare allowing their trainers and veterinarians to take a variety of voluntary medical samples, ultrasounds and x-rays to monitor their health.
Our dolphins thrive in their protected ocean water habitats. They are coastal Atlantic bottlenose dolphins well adapted to living in shallow coastal areas and bays in the wild. The majority of our dolphins are 1st and even 2nd generation dolphins born under human care. They live as long or longer than their counterparts in the wild.
Dolphin Quest facilities meet all of our dolphins’ needs and exceed both US government regulations and the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums professional animal care standards.
|Back to top|